Jonas Victor Swenson Family Photos

Friday, December 30, 2011

94. November 1928 Part 1

Jonas Victor writes about the presidential election in 1928 when Calvin Coolidge was reelected.  You can receive these blogs by email if you sign your email address in the place on the right hand side below "followers".  Roselyn.


Randolph, Kansas
November 1928  Part 1


Dear Brother Albert with Family.
     Thanks for the letter.  It is always so nice to get a letter from the place where I was born and have grown up, and hear how you are.  I remember when I wrote the last time, I said that it could be the last letter.  I can say that my health is better now than it was that time, thanks to God.
     I have been with my son in Clay Center for 5 months.  Now I am with my oldest son, who lives at a farm 4 miles from Randolph.  I have a good time with my children wherever I am.  Everybody is so kind to me.  I pay well for my housing.  
     We are having beautiful weather.  It is great, brother Albert, that God has blessed us so we do not have to be thinking of poverty in our old age.  We have worked hard, and that has been our duty, but others have worked, but have not succeeded.  We have free access to God, who gives us  both what we need spiritually and bodily. 
     Now it is another day, so I have forgotten what I had thought to write.
     I can tell you that we have had a presidential election and that was good.  The Republicans won, so we have the same president (Calvin Coolidge).  He is an economical man.  He was vice president earlier, but when the sitting president died, he was the new president.  During that time many national debts have been paid.  The taxes have been a little smaller.  This is the third time I am writing.  The last time I was writing, clouds came in front of the sun, so I could not see.  
     There are many debts in the country which are enormous.  No debts to the foreign countries.  Instead there are great claims in this country.  Here, the rich people have much to claim, also those who are not as rich, and the workers, too got a chance to pay into what was called savings stamps.  They could pay 25 and 50 cents, also 1 dollar, 5, 25, 50, 100, up to 500.  They could put in for 5 years.  By then it had grown much.  If they wanted to take out the money after 5 years, they could do that.  They did not have to do that if they did not want.  I have put in 500.  I get 4 1/2 % interest, which I get every sixth month sent to my home address.  It is good, because there is no tax on this money.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment