Jonas Victor Swenson Family Photos

Monday, November 28, 2011

86. January 6, 1925

Jonas Victor writes about Christmas in Randolph.  He asks about things back in Hamra, Sweden. There were (and still are) lots of wooded areas in this part of Sweden.  In the winters of the late 1800's, the Swenson family cut some of the woods to make charcoal for the trains.  There is still a very large basket/sled in the barn at Spakarp that was used to haul charcoal to the train.    Roselyn


Randolph, Kansas,
January 6, 1925


Dear Brother Albert.
     Thanks for your letter which I got the day before New Year's Eve.  I am so happy when I hear from you and the places around.  I am glad to hear that you have good health.  Now we have begun a new year and we do not know what will happen.
     Hamra must be odd looking with a plain between the "Beren", but they will plant wood again.  If not, it seems to me that it is like it was waste and the birch usually grow on special places and also grass.
     You wrote your letter on December 12.  Until that time we had fine weather, but then it began to be cold with snow.  We have received more snow, so it is eight or ten inches.  It is the most for many years.  The snow is not gone away, but it is not as cold.  
     Now all parties are over, which are held during Christmas time.  The Sunday after New Year's Day, prayer week begins.  There is a gathering in the churches every evening.  They have prayer gathering once a week the whole year--both Americans and everybody, but no gatherings are as little attended as the prayer gatherings.
     I have been at home the whole of Christmas.  It must be warm for me to be out of doors.
     The war did great damage.  If there would have been no war, the times and wood should still have been the same.  Now it seems that all countries have to buy grain.  We ship out much from America.  It has been very expensive here.  It is very expensive to get it ready to ship.  They need it.  The cattle are cheap so they lose money on them.  Many people here are poor and especially the renters.
     Brother, I think that you know that it is so great that we can send letters to each other.  The postman says that a letter abroad costs 5 cents.  I have put on 6 cents.  Let me know if you need to pay for my letters.  I want to pay for the ones you send.
    I can say that it is good weather for a sled, but I have not seen anybody use one.
     Now I finish this letter with dear greetings to you and enclose us all in God's protection and I pray to God that we will be happy, saved home to Him.


   Yours sincerely, Brother.


    J.V. Swenson


      When you get time, do send me a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment