Jonas Victor Swenson Family Photos

Monday, January 9, 2012

99. January 10, 1928 Part 1

Jonas Victor says he has to dress up more formally when he is at his son's home. He has more questions about the Agricultural Removal in Sweden when many had to move away or move their houses.  Obviously, this Reform caused much upheaval among farmers.  For many years, farm communities were made up of 10 or 12 farm houses who shared all the land surrounding them  They had been built in a circle for protection and had to farm together.  It was a very inefficient and unprofitable way, so the communities were set up so some of the farmers received a plot of land, and other farms had to move.  When I was in Sweden, we saw the foundations of what had been Ann Greta (Jonas Victor's wife's family) home in Hamra.  They had to move their house to another place.  Of course, Jonas Victor was interested in how things worked out for his family.  Spakarp was not involved in this--it had been on royal land and contained over 600 acres.


Clay Center, Kansas
January 10, 1928


Dear Brother Albert and Family,
     Many thanks for the letter.  I learned so much.
     I am now in Clay Center with my son here.  I have good health.  I have it well where I am staying, but I most like to be at the farm, where I can wear everyday clothes, and only wear dress clothes on Sundays.  Here I have to be dressed up in a starched shirt and a bow tie before I have breakfast.  It is ok when you are used to it.
     It is better here for my feet.  At the farm, I must have them on a warm brick.  Here they have a fire in the cellar under the house and the whole house is warm.  When I am sitting to write, the floor is warm enough for my feet.  It is also warm in the bedroom on the second floor.  It is nice when I come.
     The people are in a hurry everywhere I go--at the farm to get the work done, in the town their businesses.
     You write about the sharing of Hamra.  When I think of that, it seems that the "gentlemen" (maybe from the government ?) had influence on the surveyor.  They got all the good ground and pasture, which was so good, and perhaps the "gentlemen" knew that during the whole time the surveyor was there.
       Gustav received everything in parts.  When he gets it in order, it will be good.  He has part bad fields, but also a another part is good.  It costs money, but they have received much money for their wood.  Those who did not have to move, had to pay those who must move.
Oskar Swenson, brother of
 Jonas Victor
Click on photo to enlarge.
     In your letter you said something about Dunkullen (another farm).  It seems that the income shall be maintained by Oskar (one of his brothers). Dunkullen has sold.  Was it the guardian who did that?  In another letter, I see that Oskar's son lived in Dunkullen.  He cultivated the bog and marsh.  He had a threshing machine.  He built a new cow barn, and had four cows and a horse.  Now I hear they lost Dunkullen.  Did the widow get money?  They had improved Dunkullen so much.
     
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment