Jonas Victor Swenson Family Photos

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

61. July 1920 ? Part 4

Jonas Victor writes about taxes and the effect of World War I.   Roselyn


I am glad that things are going well for you.  It was good that Gustaf and Selma got part of Hamra.
     You say that you have high taxes.  They are also high here, but I think you have higher, considering that the income is higher here than in Sweden.  I mean agricultural work.  I will tell you about our taxes.
     Last year we have made $8,000 a year for four years.  I get half of it.  Then I have income from interest on investments.  Now as to the cost of the war.  We have income tax.  Every married man who has $2,000 income a year, and unmarried persons who make $1,000 income a year, has to pay taxes.  I can tell you that I had $5,500 income per year, and have to pay taxes, but the taxes I paid the year before deducts, even what I gave $300 to the church, the Red Cross, Young Men's Association deducts.  
     Everything we buy for the cattle, vaccinating for half of very sick pigs and the house needs repair.  When all this is deducted, I have more than $2,000 left.  I had to pay 6% interest.  Those who have $100,000, pay more.  They have to pay $2,500.  Those who have millions in income have to pay half. That tax will pay interests and debts for the war.  
     The government has borrowed 30 billions from the people in America, everybody has to be helpful, so I lent $4,500.  Of these 30 billions, the government lent to England, France, Italy and several other countries, 10 billions.  America has 20 millions in debt.  All people who were not Germans had bitter feelings toward the Germans about the war, so they did everything they could to win the war.
     You thought the wheat harvest this year would be the best, which it has been in America, but too much rain came, so it was not so good.  The oats and barley are good.
     Now, I have written about earthly things, which shall come to an end and we shall soon leave.  I have just written that so you will not think we grudge you for your good times.
     When I read what I have written, I find much that is wrong, and it is difficult to read, so you need patience.  Brother Albert do send a letter so we get to know how you are.  
      Now I finish with many kindly greetings from us to all of you.  May God lead us through the desert to a better country.  God help us so we get to meet each other there, where there is no sickness, no sorrow and no divorce.  I cannot write with ink.


              J.V. Svenson

No comments:

Post a Comment